Shantal-Mod
Shantal-Mod,
73554018

I have a bichon fries 8 years old have spent a fortune on different

Customer Question

I have a bichon fries 8 years old have spent a fortune on different creams and injections for his very itchy skin which he scratches and bits until he's very sore and on occasions bleeds. What would you recommend?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I am Dr. Peter a licensed Veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. I need to ask you a few questions first to be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

1- How long has this been going?
2- Is the itching in one particular area or all over?
3- What are you feeding him?
4- Is he currently on any medications? If so, what are the names?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It has been on and off for around 4years worse in the summer.

He scratches his sides and bits his back legs and licks behind his front legs.

He is on Jameswellbeloved lamb and vegetable.

He is only on drops for his eyes due to cataracts Maxitrol in morning and Mydriacyl at night.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.
Sheila, it sounds like Daz has allergies. One of the most common causes for itchy skin in dogs is an underlying allergy (food or environmental). The first place to start is doing a food trial during 6-8 weeks. This is what you can do:

1- Change the diet to a prescription food called Hill's z/d,, this is a special diet made with protein that do not cause allergies. Or, a grain free diet with a different source of protein then what he normally has in the past. For example: Taste of Wild Salmon. When on this diet he should not eat anything else or he will not improve. Needs to be on this diet for 6-8 weeks before you see significant improvement. As far as treats I usually recommend to give veggies like baby carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, etc.

2- Start him on Benadryl (diphenhydramine) 1mg for every pound body weight every 12 hours. For example if he weighs 10 lbs he will require 10mg every 12 hours.

3- Supplement with Fish Oil, 20mg of EPA for every pound body weight once a day, long term.

4- Bath him once every 21 days and use an oatmeal based shampoo.

Hope the above helps, if you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 4 years ago.

The Professional has replied to your question. Please remember to rate the answer that the Professional has given once you are happy with it.