Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

My dog of 15 has had her back leg amputed 6weeks ago due to

Customer Question

My dog of 15 has had her back leg amputed 6weeks ago due to cancer,at the beginning she coped well, now she trying to walk on her bottom and wants to lie on her bed, she will not ddo anything for me the owner
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Jo :

Dr. Jo :

My name is Dr. Jo and I will do my best to help you with your question about Leah. I'm so sorry to hear about the situation you're in. It sounds like you're trying to do everything for her that you can.

Dr. Jo :

If you return online and wish to join the conversation, please type in what you want to say and click REPLY.

Dr. Jo :

I find it reassuring to hear that Leah did well at first, after her amputation. Sometimes older, large-breed dogs won't get up after that kind of procedure. Young dogs tend to bounce right back, but not always an older dog.

Dr. Jo :

I think there are a few different possibilities for what might be causing this:

Dr. Jo :

1. Like you said, she might be depressed. That's not unheard of, nor is it impossible. Before deciding on that, however, I'd want to rule out some other possibilities.

Dr. Jo :

2. As an older, large-breed dog she is more prone to arthritis. A lot of otherwise healthy, 4-legged fifteen-year-old collies can barely get around due to arthritis. Her remaining legs have to work extra hard to make up for the missing leg. Arthritis pain could be a huge factor contributing to what you're seeing.

Dr. Jo :

3. It's possible that her cancer had spread to other areas of her body before the amputation. I'm so sorry, but it's one of the possibilities we must consider. Even if there was no sign of that on x-rays, CT scan, or blood tests before the amputation, it's still possible. So she could be acting this way because her cancer is back.

Dr. Jo :

4. It's also possible that she has developed some new kind of illness or injury, completely unrelated to everything else that has happened.

Dr. Jo :

If you'd like to find out which of these things is causing Leah's problem, take her back to the vet. A thorough physical examination and some laboratory tests and x-rays should reveal the answer.

Dr. Jo :

I'm happy to keep discussing this with you until you are satisfied with the information I've given. Please let me know what else I can do to help.

Dr. Jo :

Thank you for using our website.