Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

my dog keeps rubbing and licking his nose seams more at night.he

Customer Question

my dog keeps rubbing and licking his nose seams more at night.he his a 3year old japanese chin and as only started this about 4days ago
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 4 years ago.

Vet_Answers :

Hello and welcome. My name is Scott and I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Vet_Answers :

Can you tell me is there anything visible on the outside of the nose and is there any sign of a nasal discharge. I guess there are no other symptoms of any sort? { no matter how minor }

JACUSTOMER-u12dr7ez- :

he seems to have a red line over the top of the nose but no discharge

Vet_Answers :

Thanks for that, the red line may indicate some form of irritation or the start of a dermatitis, enough to cause itching anyway. This may be a job for your vet as prescription drugs such as antibiotics may be needed. However in the meantime applying hydrocortisone cream to the affected part twice a day for five days may settle things down. This is an over the counter drug in the UK ...

JACUSTOMER-u12dr7ez- :

thank you

Vet_Answers :

No problem, very glad to have advised you ..