Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Bloods in puppies stools

Customer Question

Blood in puppies stools... I bought my puppy from a reputable breeder registered with the kennel club 6 days ago, and right from the start she had soft stools (She will be 10 weeks old tomorrow) I was told this was normal at first, and that would settle down. I carried on feeding her the same food she had been being fed by the breeder herself, but as of yesterday evening her stools had become even looser and in the early hours of the morning we found blood in them. Very worried now! She had been eating and drinking plenty of water, but not sure whether because her stools were loose whether it was enough and if she is dehydrated. No vets open right now where I live otherwise I would have been right on the phone to them. She is also very tired and it's a real struggle to get her to drink now. I've been told that there is an out of hours service, but the cost just for that without consultation and treatment is £100, and unfortunately I fear depending on treatment that I would not be able to afford both. I have MS so do not work, and this puppy was bought for me for my birthday with all my family clubbing together to afford. I was going to start a puppy fund, but as it is only 6 days since I got her my funds are limited.

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 4 years ago.

Vet_Answers :

Hello and welcome. My name is Scott and I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Vet_Answers :

Do you know if she has had any initial vaccines yet ?

Hello again Debbie,

Sorry you have had a bit of a wait, I have switched to question and answer mode so you can get back to me when you next come online.

Regards,

Scott