Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

hi my english springer spaneil has a sore between its toes

Customer Question

hi my english springer spaneil has a sore between its toes on left hind leg ,just seen it now taught it was a sting or bit
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 4 years ago.
Welcome! My name is Dr. Andy. I am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Jessie.
You may get stuck with a vet visit. If she keeps licking it!!!!! the self-trauma will cause a severe foot infection (pododermatitis).

Some petstores sell those velcro rubber booties. Great for protecting the paw.

Giving some oral diphenhydramine (benadryl) might help with allergic reaction.

Benadryl can be given at a dose of 1mg per pound of body weight. Keep in mind, Benadryl tablets and liquids come in different sizes. So, an approximately 25 pound dog can get a full 25mg tablet or a half of a 50mg tablet. I usually avoid the liquid Benadryl in larger dogs (you would have to give too much of it). You can give Benadryl every 8-12 hours.

Topical hydrocortisone cream, which can also be commonly found in some hemorrhoid cream, might help some of the inflammation.
But, ultimately, you may really need a vet visit. A steroid shot and a strong topical preparation may help a lot.

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding, my goal is to provide you the best answer possible.
Dr. Andy

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

where can i pick up this medacation or cream

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 4 years ago.
Hi Trevor,
Tough to say in the U.K.
Most hydrocortisone creams are available over the counter at a grocery store or pharmacy. Generally, without prescription.
In fact, there are quite a few hemorrhoidal creams, that if you look at the active ingredient, it is simply hydrocortisone.

Now, benadryl is more tricky. Not sure how available at a regular store for you. In the States, benadryl is available even at gas stations.

Hope that additional information helps. Definitely, reply to me if there is any other way I may assist you.
Dr. Andy
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 4 years ago.
I hope everything is going okay. May I be of any further assistance?