Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Hello!! Many thanks in advance. I want to know if I can give

Customer Question

Hello!! Many thanks in advance. I want to know if I can give to my 8 years old labrador Seraquin 2g (2 daily) plus Ultra Green Lipped Mussel 500mg (2 daily)?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.

Vet_Answers :

Hello and welcome .

My name is Scott and I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

JACUSTOMER-b4xzhjb3- :

hello, my dog is not a small one, is a labrador

Vet_Answers :

Seraquin is quite safe for dogs and many owners use it where their dogs have arthritis or other joint related problems. The green mussel extract is regarded as safe as well. You can use these sorts of products on their own or in combination with prescribed anti-arthritis drugs.

JACUSTOMER-b4xzhjb3- :

Can I give to my dog both at the same time?

JACUSTOMER-b4xzhjb3- :

He is not under any drug

Vet_Answers :

As for dose rates for this class of product, if you are not using a specific veterinary product then just use the human dose rate on a pro rata basis based on weight , probably half the human dose rate would be appropriate for a Labrador. These products would be safe to give at the same time .

Vet_Answers :

You would have to try them for a month at least to assess their effect, they do not act at once and it can take a while to see any benefits. I have know owners say that these sorts of products do help a lot though.

JACUSTOMER-b4xzhjb3- :

He has been taken Seraquin at least for a year. We keep it like to help him to avoid future problems (if that is possible)... I forgot that we are giving him a tea spoon of liver cod oil every evening too. Can we keep it as well?

JACUSTOMER-b4xzhjb3- :

are you still there?

Vet_Answers :

The cod liver oil sounds fine as well ..

JACUSTOMER-b4xzhjb3- :

The three of them every day or it will be too much?

Vet_Answers :

The cod liver oil would also be fine to give with the other products you mentioned.

JACUSTOMER-b4xzhjb3- :

ok. thanks. Any advice to avoid arthritis or joint pain in my lab?

Vet_Answers :

No problem, arthritis is not really something you can avoid as it will be there anyway as a result of joint damage, natural wear and tear and perhaps secondary to inherited problems such as hip dysplasia. Where a dog is affected you should keep its weight low within it's weight range to minimise stress on the joints, moderate exercise will keep the joints moving but avoid excesses of exercise such as jumping for sticks. In the early stages many people use natural supplements such as you have. However as time goes on you may have to introduce prescription anti-inflammatory drugs to keep your dog comfortable. That's about all you can do ...

JACUSTOMER-b4xzhjb3- :

thanks... like in people... hope better option will be available soon. Have a good night.

Vet_Answers :

No problem, glad to have advised you ...