Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog has been spayed this morning and she is fidgeting around

Customer Question

My dog has been spayed this morning and she is fidgeting around (unsettled) and has quite pale gums. She drinks but does not eat. She does not appear to be in pain. Is she OK?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I am Dr. Peter a licensed Veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today.

Friend, having pale gums following a spay is not a good finding. I would be concern of bleeding internal from one the stumps or uterine horn or uterus. I would highly recommend taking her immediately to the nearest ER veterinarian.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

There is some pink in the gums. Does this matter

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.
Pink color is what we want to see. You see, when we see pale gums it means there is either poor circulation, anemia (decrease in red blood cells), decrease blood volume, decrease cardiac output or blood pressure. Having a history of being spayed earlier the first concern would be internal bleeding which can be fatal if it is not treated. For this reason it is bes to be on the safe side and have her checked tonight. Having some pink is not good enough we want to see all of the gums pink. I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Took her to the ER. She is fine though but as you said, it was better to be safe than sorry.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.
Excellent, I am happy to learn she is doing ok.

Dr. Peter