Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc (DVM equivalent). Special interest in canine and feline medicine and surgery.
9138059

my cocker spaniel has two small skin folds on either side of

Customer Question

my cocker spaniel has two small skin folds on either side of its lower jaw and the result in two small hollows about pea size.
These hole get infected and unless i treat them once aday cause her severe discomfort
I believe she could have an operation to close them up but my vet does not advise this probably because the have not had expeience of the operatIion and has recomended regular washing with malaise shampoo, is this the best treatment

Is there anwhere in the uk where they have experience of this operation, and what would you recomend

MANY THANKS
Category: Dog
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 4 years ago.
Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your Cocker girl Holly. Yes - this issue is very common in Cockers and this is typically referred to as a lip fold dermatitis. Cockers can get very nasty infections in these folds including pseudomonas which is a bacterial infection that is very difficult to clear. In cases where only regular daily cleaning and medications can present infection, then yes - lip fold surgery is recommended. This is otherwise known as a chelioplasty. While any Vet could do this procedure, it is best in the hands of a specialist surgeon or Veterinary dermatologist.

If this is something that you would consider for Holly (and it sounds like she needs it), then you can ask your Vet to refer you to a specialist veterinary surgeon in your area who can do this procedure for you. The procedure isn't a difficult one, but Holly is likely to have the best outcome if a specialist who has done this before, does this for her.

Until you can have this referral arranged, continue with the medications your Vet has got you carrying out on your girl.

Best of luck and let me know how you get on if you get a chance!

Kind Regards,

Dr Edwards