Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

hi my springer spaniel kills things, she doesnt eat them and

Customer Question

hi my springer spaniel kills things, she doesn't eat them and we have never had her trained as a hunting dog.

so my question is [why is she killing things, when she hasn't been trained to do so??]
is it in her breed or something?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 4 years ago.
Hi there and thank you for your question. I am a licensed veterinarian and am happy to assist you. The springer spaniel is a breed of gun dog traditionally used for flushing and retrieving game. The term springer comes from the historic hunting role, where the dog would "spring" (flush) birds into the air. So, yes, that is why your dog is doing this... it is in her genetics. If this is causing a problem, you can purchase a basket muzzle for her that allows her to bark and pant, but does not allow her to bite or eat things. You can have her wear it when she is outside. If it is just an occasional small wildlife creature and she is not eating them, I would not worry too much about it. Hope this helps! Best of luck.