Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

my shih Tzu is suffering from diarrhoea, vomiting and blood

Customer Question

my shih Tzu is suffering from diarrhoea, vomiting and blood in faeces. He is fully vaccinated as far as I can tell, with Nobivac DHPPi and Lepto 2, his next one is due 9/2013
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.

Vet_Answers :

Hello and welcome. My name is Scott and I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Vet_Answers :

How long has Samson been showing these symptoms?

JACUSTOMER-bguctf3w- :

about 4 days

Vet_Answers :

Thank you, and how is he feeling in himself other than the symptoms you have mentioned? Is he still fairly bright or a bit depressed?

JACUSTOMER-bguctf3w- :

very subdued

Vet_Answers :

Thanks for that, I think on balance with symptoms like that you would be best to have a vet check him out ASAP, also the fact that it has been going on for four days is also a cause for concern. However I can suggest some simple home remedies you can try while waiting for your vet's appointment. Please give me five minutes and I will type them out.

Vet_Answers :

Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...

A. Starve him for 24 hours but make sure he has access to water.

B. The next day feed him four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If he picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce his normal diet over the next few days.

3. Live yogurt added to the food can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance. You do not need to give much, perhaps a couple of teaspoons twice a day,

Of course if any of the above does not quickly start to work or if Samson deteriorates further in any way you should see your vet without delay just to be on the safe side.

Vet_Answers :

The fact he has recently been wormed is probably not a factor causing what you are seeing and the fact he has been properly vaccinated is also in your favour but the blood in the faeces and the fact it has gone on so long are a cause for concern. It could be that prescription drugs such as antibiotics are needed ...

JACUSTOMER-bguctf3w- :

he did have some steamed chicken yesterday but brought it back up overnight

Vet_Answers :

That is a cause for concern, I know this may not be what you want to hear but if a client had phoned me out of hours with a dog with those symptoms I would have suggested they bring it right down to the clinic at once. As I said prescription drug might well make the difference ...

JACUSTOMER-bguctf3w- :

ok thanks, am waiting for a vet appt. Thank you for your help and advice

JACUSTOMER-bguctf3w- :

got an apt for this afternoon

Vet_Answers :

Good luck with Samson ...

JACUSTOMER-bguctf3w- :

thank you

Vet_Answers :

No problem, glad to have advised you ...