DR.J
DR.J, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Hi , I'm James DVM MRCVS and would love to help you with your problem
74293778

I have an Alaskan Malamut who is forever foraging in the garden

Customer Question

I have an Alaskan Malamut who is forever foraging in the garden and being sick .
What plants are particularly bad for dogs . She seems interested in Geraniums and Helibore.
Category: Dog
Expert:  DR.J replied 4 years ago.

DR.J :

Hi , I'm James DVM MRCVS and would like to help you with your question

DR.J :

There could be several reasons for Mishka to be going about digging in the garden .

DR.J :

It could be a behavioral issue , Malamutes are very active dogs , at times if they are not simulated enough , they can start acting strange by releasing their stored energy in any way possible . treating up furniture indoors , plants outdoors and such other bad acts.

DR.J :

Another possibility could be that Mishka is following up on smells of other animals , could be cats , foxes, badgers which mark their territory in your garden and that is driving her wild (being a hunting dog by origin)

JACUSTOMER-t1jvrwdv- :

Mishka is eating several types of plant and I want to know wether they are poisonous otherwise she is happy and content

DR.J :

that is not a problem : I found a number of websites which could be of help to you:

DR.J :

This one will help you with you need of Geraniums as they are considered toxic to dog, though is requires a large amount

DR.J :

in regards XXXXX XXXXX more generalized notion of which plants are toxic , I attach the following list of common garden flowers and thier level of toxicity - http://www.dogstrust.org.uk/az/factsheetsanddownloads/factsheetpoisonoussubstances09.pdf

DR.J :

In general neither of the two plants you have mentioned are extremely toxic and would usually result in vomiting as a first line of defense. Geraniums has been known to cause some skin reactions which can look like hives , this is more common to dogs which light colored fur which hold more sensitive skin but 9 out of 10 times you would see nothing and it shall pass.

DR.J :

The most dangerous outcome would be in actuality uncontrolled vomiting which could lead to dehydration , and especially on days such is these and that is what you out look out for the most

DR.J :

In case a skin reaction does develop , and Mishka is itchi and uncomfortable , you can administer one tablet of piriton 4mg up to three times a day (do it for one day only ) and that will help resolve the signs

DR.J :

I hope this helps , do you wish to ask anymore on the subject as I am here to help

DR.J :

Before leaving our conversation , please do not forget to rate it .

DR.J :

If you wish to ask anything more let me know.

DR.J :

Cheers