Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Our dog is not yet 4. He is a cross between a labrador and

Customer Question

Our dog is not yet 4. He is a cross between a labrador and a springer spaniel so is always full of life. Since Sunday it has all changed. On Sunday night he couldn't get out of bed to be sick or pass water or even when his bowels moved. Last night he was coughing in his sleep. Now all he wants to do is lie in bed.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I am Dr. Peter a licensed Veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. I need to ask you a few questions first to be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

1- To make sure I got this right, he vomited and urinated while in bed?
2- Did he get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?
3- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?
4- Can you take a rectal temperature on him?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Nothing out of the ordinary to eat as far as we know.

He vomited and urinated while in bed. He was also sick.

His gums are black.

I cannot take a rectal temperature.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
1- Have you tried to get him up and see if he will walk?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes. He will walk out to the garden and back in but not keen to play. He lies down after a few minutes. He will not come upstairs now. where before he followed me everywhere.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Rona, the symptoms that you are describing of being lethargic, vomiting and urinating while in bed can be caused by many different diseases. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying in this case on history alone without a physical exam and some testing. But, common causes could be ingestion of a foreign body, infections, kidney or liver disease, toxicity, etc. To determine the exact underlying cause besides a hands on examination he is going to need blood work and xrays as initial screening test. Treatment will be determined by test results. In the meantime, this is what you can do:
1- Zantac (ranitidine) 75mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours, you can buy zantac over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist).
2- Offer a bland diet of rice and boiled boneless chicken.
3- Highly recommend having him checked by a veterinarian as soon as you can for the above test.

If you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Could it be a heart problem? We couldn't get a vets appointment till tomorrow p.m.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
It could, but not likely. Dogs with heart problem usually have a history of coughing prior to becoming lethargic. In addition, their symptoms are mainly of respiratory distress which is not the case with Ash.
I would strongly recommend not to wait for the appointment and walk in with Ash as an emergency, your vet will understand. The fact that is not willing to get up and vomited and urinated in his bed is a demonstration that he is very ill and needs to be seen as soon as possible. In a young dog with a history of being completely normal prior to these symptoms I would want to rule out a foreign body ingestion, infection, toxicity, etc. have him checked today if possible.

Dr. Peter