Dr. Dan M.
Dr. Dan M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years experience in Small Animal veterinary practice
23462335

My 14 year old collie cross as developed black tarry stools

Customer Question

My 14 year old collie cross as developed black tarry stools , also vomitting which started on Thursday and a yellowish discharge from his nose which started yesterday,he constantly pants and as lost weight he was a bit naughty about 10 days ago when he shredded a disposable nappy of my son, he vomitted 3 baby wipes and some of the silicone from the nappy. I'm concerned he may picked up some sort of virus after a long walk at the start of the week- He is usually a very bouncy and healthy dog
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Dan M. replied 4 years ago.

I am sorry Jack is unwell.

Your description of his problems has me very concerned about him and I feel it is important you get him seen by your vet.

Black tarry faeces indicate bleeding from the early part of the gastrointestinal tract (stomach/small intestines) ere ar e any things which can cause this including ulcers and cancer. I would not necessarily expect a simple virus to cause this.

Also significant amounts of blood can be lost through gastrointestinal bleeding and I am worried the panting is a sign that Jack is anaemic and has a low circulating amount of blood, this will reduce the amount of oxygen reaching his body.

It is possible the ingestion of the nappy has caused a problem inside but whatever the cause I am concerned that he is seriously ill and will require urgent attention. It is possible that severe blood loss can cause death.

It is important he remains hydrated and encourage him to drink water. But he does need to be seen today and your vet will offer and emergency service if they aren't routinely open on a Sunday.

Good luck and I really hope he is OK

Dan Makin