Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

my chitz su has a sore eye

Customer Question

my chitz su has a sore eye
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry to hear of this with Hugo. The first thing I think of when I hear that a Shih Tzu has a "sore eye" is a corneal ulcer that has appeared secondary to trauma to one of those buggy eyes.

I need to know what you're seeing that suggests "soreness" to you. Most important, is the clear window (cornea) of the eye cloudy and/or does it have blood vessels running across it? This would indicate a corneal ulcer that needs attention promptly. Are you seeing a discharge coming from the eye? if so, is it bloody or pusy? Is there a conjunctivitis - a redness of the inner surface of the eyelids and membranes that surround the globe of the eye? Do you think that the globe of the eye is larger than the globe of the other eye?

In most cases, eyes should be seen up close and personal by our dog's vet as soon as possible. Loss of visual acuity can occur quickly with many eye disorders. We need to stain the cornea with fluoroscein to rule an abrasion or ulcer in or out. We need to check tear production by Schirmer tear testing - a simple exam room test for a condition called keratoconjunctivitis sicca/dry eye - and we need to ascertain the eye pressure with a tonometer to assess whether glaucoma is present or not.

I'll await your reply.