Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc (DVM equivalent). Special interest in canine and feline medicine and surgery.
9138059

Hi, I gave my dogs a Johnsons flea tablet for large dogs over

Customer Question

I gave my dogs a Johnsons flea tablet for large dogs over 11kg by mistake. My dogs are 14lbs. Will this harm them?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 4 years ago.
Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your 2 Cocker's who have had the wrong size Johnson's flea tablet today! The Johnson's flea tablet contains the active ingredient Nitenpyram which is responsible for killing the fleas. Thankfully this active ingredient has a pretty wide safety margin in dogs and cats so you are unlikely to see any ill effects from this different and accidental dosing. You could potentially see some vomiting and/or diarrhea (stomach upset) as a results of this slight overdosing, but you are very unlikely to see anything more than this!

Do make sure you only give them the tablets for dogs less than 11kg from now on though won't you!! If either of these boy's develop diarrhea or vomiting, then do be sure to start them on a bland diet. Cooked, boneless skinless chicken breast and boiled white rice is fine for this.

Best of luck with these two and I hope this gives you some peace of mind. Don't forget to click a smiley :-D face if this has been helpful.

Kind Regards,

Dr Edwards