Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

Ive got a German Shepherd nearly 2yrs. I have taken her to

Customer Question

Ive got a German Shepherd nearly 2yrs. I have taken her to the vets but get different information from different vets in the same practice.I am confused what to do for the best.This summer she started inching and scaratching herself,the floor is covered in dog hairs, she has spots under her front and back legs they are now going under her tummy.She has not got much hair left now on her legs .She doesn't have fleas.One vet said she was over heating and gave her antibiotics and shampoo to bath her in every 2/3 days .The other vet said she has an allergy to pollen,had more antibiotics and antihistamines for her.I have 2 other dogs which are fine. I hope you can help.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 4 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta , a licensed veterinarian and am happy to answer your question.

I am sorry that Sheba is suffering from this condition....I know this can be very frustrating...

I have a few questions to help me better assist you.

Did Sheba respond to any of the 2 treatments?

Is this worse in the summer?

Sincerely, Dr. Loretta

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

sheba didn't improve with either treatment

Thank you Victoria for that information....

It appears that Sheba is extremely allergic to something...in many cases such as Sheba, since the normal regimen of medications have not helped her, she may be suffering from Atopy which is a generalized allergic reaction and will ONLY respond to Atopica (Cyclosporine).

Even though you do not see any fleas, Victoria, make sure to use a good flea control....they could be there causing a flea allergy and you may not know it. Have your vet recheck Sheba and consider testing and treating for Atopy.

This LINK will explain in more detail, Victoria.

Your vet will have to rule out parasites such as mites with a skin scraping and rule out an autoimmune disease with a skin biopsy. Lab work needs to be done to rule out a Hypothyroid condition that is common in this breed and causes skin issues. It appears, Victoria, that other testing needs to be done. Your vets have only given medications that they think may help but since this has not helped, have them pursue these other options so they know excatly what they are treating and then Sheba will be relieved of her suffering.

Does that make sense to you, Victoria?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, Dr. Loretta