Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

street dog in Romania has swollen head.. visible worms in ear

Customer Question

street dog in Romania has swollen head.. visible worms in ear and discharge .... My girlfriend who feeds this street dog is very worried she cant catch him to take to the vets... but will come to her with food .... Could you please let me know if its ok to give this dog some antibiotics .... I know he needs to get to the vets... so have asked her to try and catch him XX Many thanks i knnow this isnt the normal question ... He is in distress
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 4 years ago.

Drew :

Hello, thanks for your question today! I am Dr. Drew, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

Drew :

The "worms" that you are seeing in the ear, might actually be maggots (fly larvae),

Drew :

and it's a sign that there's dead or dying tissue present in the ear

Drew :

the maggots must be removed if possible,

Drew :

I don't know if you can purchase "Capstar" there, or an equivalent Flea Killer pill with the active ingredient Nitenpyram,

Drew :

but if given to Gorita, this pill will help kill some of the maggots.

Drew :

AS for antibiotics, it is quite likely that this will be useful,

Drew :

I don't know which antibiotics you have access to,

Drew :

but I'd probably choose something like amoxicillin/clavulanic acid , as it has good broad spectrum activity, and is relatively inexpensive in generic form.

Drew :

Assuming 40 pounds / 20kg body weight, the dose would be 250-300 mg every 12 hours.

Drew :

This would need to be given for 10-14 days at a minimum,

Drew :

and if possible, the ears need to be cleaned with a solution of warm water and betadine or chlorhexidine.