Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Is there any scientific proof that IBD in dogs is/can be caused

Customer Question

Is there any scientific proof that IBD in dogs is/can be caused by an infection and if there is, where can I find that information, please?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry to hear of this with Lexi. Chronic infection is a well-known cause of IBD in dogs. Any internal medicine textbook such as the Textbook of Veterinary Internal Medicine, ed.6, Ettinger, Feldman, will show this list of infectious organisms:

Giardia sp.
Histoplasma sp.
Toxoplasma sp.
Mycobacteria sp.
Protothecosis
Pythiosis
Pathogenic bacteria (Campylobacter, Salmonella spp., pathogenic Escherichia coli)

Do you have the histopathology (biopsy) report that identifies the type of IBD? I would expect a neutrophilic IBD if infection were the etiology. A lymphocytic-plasmacyctic IBD is found with an immune-mediated etiology. If immunosuppressives aren't helping, it certainly would be prudent to initiate a broad spectrum antibiotic trial or either culture her feces or perform PCR (DNA-based) testing to identify which infectious agents are present and treat specifically for those.

I'll await your reply.