Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years experience in veterinary medicine and surgery.
56364752

6 yr old labrador bitch on steroids, still scratcging to the

Customer Question

6 yr old labrador bitch on steroids, still scratcging to the point of bleeding. has has skin scrapes and blood tests. still ripping her skin off. using medicated shampoos etc etc. no fur on underbelly, very little coat on legs or face

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question, I am sorry to learn Tilly is not doing well. My name is Dr. Peter I am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did the itching start quickly or gradually?
2- Have you done a food trial with a hypoallergenic diet?
3- Has she been treated with ivermectin or revolution?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

answers to your questions;'

1 gradual

2 yes

3 no

Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 4 years ago.

HI,

Dr. Peter has "opted out", and I am Dr. Barbara. I'd like to try to help in this frustrating situation for you both!

The two main causes of severe itchiness and subsequent sores are actually quite easy to treat and often not found on skin scrapings. This would be Sarcoptic Mange, caused by a mite that burrows and is frequently not seen. This would be treated with ivermectin or revolution, and this is the way this is often diagnosed. . .by response to these two drugs.

The second possibility would be flea allergy which can be caused by only one to very few fleas which we would never see. If Tilly is not on Frontline, Revolution, Advantage ,or another veterinarian sold anti flea product monthly I would recommend this.

If treating for fleas and sarcoptic mange (along with any secondary bacterial or fungal skin infections) does not resolve her dermatitis and itchiness, then treating for dermatitis secondary to inhaled, contact, or food allergens is the direction you need to go. One drug that can help with this ultimately is Atopica (or cyclosporin).

Hope this helps. . .please let me know!

Dr. Barbara