PawsDoc
PawsDoc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a veterinarian practicing in New York. I look forward to helping you answer your questions!
53734430

XXXXX XXXXX with a sore lip

Customer Question

Hi. We have a JRT called Lexi who got speyed a couple of months ago. After the op she was left with a small cut/slit on her botXXXXX XXXXXp. Just as it is about to heal it must irritate her and she starts to scratch it. She now has a small sore on her top lip as well. I have tried bathing it with salty water but she likes that and licks it of. I even tried cold tea on the advice of a friend which was useless. I am trying germaline. It may seem a small problem but i really don't want it to get worse. What could you advise please x She was in between sizes with the buster collars.

Category: Dog
Expert:  PawsDoc replied 4 years ago.
Hello I'm PawsDoc I'd like to help.
I'm sorry to hear about Lexi.
I think you are on the right tract with a typical medication. A triple antibiotic ointment such as neosporin is ideal to use - twice a day. As you mentioned the only way to avoid self trauma is to keep an e-collar (head cone) and keep it on until it's completely healed. I know this seems difficult to endure but workout that cone on it will never be able to properly heal.
I hope this answers your question, please ACCEPT below if you are satisfied, or reply with questions.
PawsDoc