Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

my dog has bald patch on tummy above penis is itchy not red

Customer Question

my dog has bald patch on tummy above penis is itchy not red or inflamed been treated for fleas regularly bedding replaced regularly @ washed
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question, I am sorry to learn Dexter is having skin problems. My name is Dr. Peter I am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?
2- Is he licking the area?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

1 week @ yes he is licking area

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.
Lynn, it sounds like Dexter has what we commonly call a hot spot. If he continues to lick area he will make it worst. This is what you can do:

1- Need to stop him from licking or he is going to delay healing and promote an infection. Pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop him from licking/gnawing at affected area.
2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Wash area with this soap 2-3 times a day. If you can not find the above soap use an over the counter antibacterial soap.
3- After washing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days.
4- If no significant improvement after doing the above, follow up with your family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter