Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

Hi, Bindi is a Labrador x German shepard x Collie dog (F) aged

Hi, Bindi is a Labrador x German shepard x Collie dog (F) aged almost 13.

She has had a urine infection for 18 months identified as "e-coli".

She took 1 month of anti-biotics followed by 3 months, then two x-rays to check for bladder stones, (3 removed at 6 yrs old and spayed as well). Urine was checked for crystals. Both tests clear.

Urinoscopy was done and e-coli was identified. I bought a month of the best anti-B, which was the recommended (and most expensive) one.

The foul odour and bed wetting returned within a few days of treatments end, so a further 3 months of anti-B's were administered.

The infection remained, I lost my job. She went 6 months without treatment
I found another vet (free) 2 months ago. She got 10 days of the good anti-B, one per day. Then she got 2 weeks of 2 a day which did not work. Then she got X-rays, urinoscopy which confirmed e-coli, resistant to the good anti-B's, suggested another.

Bindi is currently on day 13 of 2 a day "28 X Trim 80 (480mg combined)" and they only worked for 3 days, then she has been getting steadily worse. Yesterday she pee'd and squirted out a pussy discharge which was very mucous like and thread-like. It reminded me of a tape worm. She had a strand of mucous 10cm long from her pee-pee.

I am seeing a new vet Friday after work, what can we do??? please help, this is making Bindi so sad but the old her is back whenever we get new anti-B's.

The first anti-biotics (4 months) I don’t know what they were. The second was the big square brown chewable ones with 4 breakable portions (4 months). Then more brown ones, then the “Trim”

From Ivan. Thank you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I

Dr. Joey :

Sometimes these chronic UTIs can be extremely tricky to deal with. On the one hand there is the issue of trying to eliminate or at least control the existing infection. On the other hand is long-term consideration for why she may have this.

Dr. Joey :

As to the first issue of trying to eliminate, at this point the first step would be if not done within the past 6 weeks to culture her urine again. You need to know this is truly still E.coli (as it probably is) but more importantly if any antibiotic that can be given by mouth may work. For many of these terrible infections we tend to finally turn to a drug called nitrofurantoin (which can be expensive). If not already tried then treated every 8 hours for 3 to 4 weeks is probably a start. If this works then she can remain on a lower dose given once daily to prevent. In addition to this (or another appropriate antibiotic choice) I would recommend starting her on a urinary antiseptic such as methenamine mandelate which she would stay on long-term. This medication helps sterilize the urine which makes it more difficult for bacteria to grow. Not many vets have used this drug much and your vet may need to consult with an internal medicine specialist first. I have actually used this in many patients and published papers on resistant UTI issues. So, I know it can help. This plan may give you a start to eliminating this.

Dr. Joey :

The second issue is the why is she getting these? It may be her bladder was compromised from the bladder stone surgery (this is a possible complication) in the sense that the normal protective mechanisms of the bladder may not work as well; such as she cannot entirely express all contents in her bladder when she goes or the wall of the bladder itself may harbor infection. This is actually more of an academic question since there is not a lot we can do to treat this. I only mention this because I feel it important to understand her problem may not be just that she has an infection we cannot get rid of, but that she actually has a mechanical issue with her bladder that predisposes her to infection and therefore is likely to become re-infected in teh future after this infection is eliminated (let me know if that did not make sense). And this is why a longer-term plan for preventive is important-- such as use of daily antibiotic at low dose and methenamine mandelate.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.

You appear to be unavailable for a live chat or we are having a difficult time connecting. I have thrown a lot of information your way and I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialog in this setting.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you. I Iive on a boat with no electric and this just reached my I-phone. My laptop is flat. Last year the sewage farm overflowed all of March, April, and May. My dinghy was gross round the ropes. This is mostly how she caught it. Raw human sewage. I don't know but it was the right time and seems most likely. The sewage comes from "Turlin Moor" where there are loads of addicts and Gypsies.
I go to bed now as I am up at 04:30 tomorrow. I show this to the vet on Friday. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.
Please keep me posted and let me know if you have any questions after your visit. I am always happy to answer followup questions.
And kindly submit a rating when you have time. My goal is to provide you excellent service.
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience: 15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Dr Joey. I talked to the new vet and couldn't get her interested in anything you'd told me at all.They just took some blood to check the liver and sold me painkillers for the arthritis and another bottle of TRIMACARE 80 MG which doesn't seem to be even slightly working after 2 a day for 2 weeks.

Where can I find a vet who will try what you said?

I am in Bournemouth U.K.

Thank you for your help I will rate you soon, you have helped me have faith there is an alternative to what we have been trying.Smile