Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

Hello, we have a 16 year old mongrel (sheepdog cross). She

Customer Question

Hello, we have a 16 year old mongrel (sheepdog cross).
She has been fit and healthy up until 5 days ago when she began having seizure-like pain symptoms. She collapses on the floor (if standing - sometimes she has them lying down), her spine seems to lock into place and she cries out in pain for around 30 seconds. After that, she is in shock for around 5 minutes afterwards and then comes round again. When she is not having an attack she is perfectly fine, just a little subdued.

She has had 4 of these episodes/attacks in the past 5 days (1 on Sunday lying down, 1 on Monday lying down, 1 on Wednesday after walking up some steps and 1 today after walking up the same steps).

We took her to the vets yesterday and she has been given some anti-inflammatory medication. We are also keeping her movements as restricted as possible and have blocked off all steps she could climb up.

The vet seemed unsure what this could be - perhaps a ruptured disc, but surely if this was the case she would be in pain all the time?

Any advice on what this could be or what may help would be much appreciated.
Many thanks, XXXXX

Email:[email protected]
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning Rebecca and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear that Poppy is having these stressful episodes.

From what you have described, Rebecca, I believe that these are Petite mal epileptic seizures. You are correct, Rebecca, that if this were a ruptured or partial ruptured disc in Poppy's back, this would not resolve so quickly.

Because of Poppy's age, I would worry that this could be due to Liver disease which causes neurologic issues or a brain tumor especially since she has had so many. Seizures do not always manifest as gran mal seizures and the ones that Poppy is having are less dramatic but still is an episode. This screaming is probably not due to pain but due to an unconcious issue. It is actually a good sign that Poppy is not having gran mal seizures since this would be more serious for her but they can move into gran mal seizures.

The best thing to do if it has not already been done is to run blood work to determine if this is due to a metabolic malfunction such as liver disease . If this is ruled out, an MRI can determine if there is Idiopathic Epilepsy which means that we do not know why this is happening or a brain tumor.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Dr. Loretta. Thank you for your detailed reply. It was very useful and I will show it to our vet when we take poppy back for a check up next week. So do you think that the anti-inflammatory medication and resting will be useful or not? Is there any other medication for these seizures e.g analgesics?

Many thanks,
Rebecca
The fact, Rebecca, that the anti inflammatory medication has not helped this situation tells me that this is probably caused by seizures. The only medication that will help is an anti seizure medication....Phenobarbitol or others such as this.

Check with your vet since the treatment is not wokring and the other meidcations may be the key. Ny fear, Rebecca, is that if this is serious such as a brain tumor, that medication may not help....it is worth a try though.
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

Thank you so much, Rebecca for your kind rating and generous bonus. It is very much appreciated! Do not hesitate to contact me with any other concerns that you may have about Poppy's condition. If you have other questions, please Reply.

Have a great day, Rebecca....Poppy too!!