Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

i just got a puppie lab and it as just been vomiting and i

Customer Question

i just got a puppie lab and it as just been vomiting and i saw a worm in it it looks like a roundworm what can i do
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

Is she having significant vomiting (more than just once) or any other issues such as low to no appetite, diarrhea (especially if bloody), or being very lethargic?

Dr. Joey :

I ask these questions because it is very important to determine if he could have a viral infection such as parvovirus. Usually this will cause vomiting, diarrhea (bloody) and lethargy with no interest in food. This is life-threatening and therefore if you are at all suspicious this could be the cause, i advocate you have her seen today on emergency to at least have the easy test for this condition.

Dr. Joey :

It is possible she only has worms. They all have parasites at this age and roundworms are most common. So, if she is feeling great (eating well, very active and has no diarrhea) then you can either wait until you take her in for her first vet visit on Monday (she does need to get started on her shots) and get appropriate dewormer from your vet OR you can purchase Panacur-C in the appropriate powder for her size (probably the less than ten pounds dose) and give this once daily for three days in a row.

Dr. Joey :

Actually for dewormer it may not be called Panacur-C where you are located, but look for one with the active ingredient: fenbendazole. It might be available at a pet store. However, roundworms are usually not an emergency unless a puppy is ill, and therefore could wait until Monday when your vet is available.

JACUSTOMER-h5os5brb- :

she eat ok

JACUSTOMER-h5os5brb- :

and i saw just 1 worm

Dr. Joey :

With just one worm and she is acting normally, my best recommendation is to wait until you can have her seen by her regular vet on Monday.

JACUSTOMER-h5os5brb- :

i have got 18moth lab will it be ok and 2 year old baby

Dr. Joey :

If your older lab is on monthly heartworm preventive then there is no concerns; this will protect against this sort of parasite. If not, then you may want to discuss with your regular vet administering a dewormer to your 18 month-old.

JACUSTOMER-h5os5brb- :

ok and the baby

Dr. Joey :

The baby should be fine as long as she has no profuse vomiting (once daily is okay) or severe diarrhea until you can have her seen by her vet. However, if she becomes ill then she needs to be seen sooner.

JACUSTOMER-h5os5brb- :

ok thx

Dr. Joey :

Please keep me posted. I am always happy to answer followup questions. You can reply to this question at any time to submit a followup. Kindly submit a rating as you exit our chat.