Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My puppy is 12 weeks old today. She is a bitch black great

Customer Question

My puppy is 12 weeks old today. She is a bitch black great dane. She's crying and squatting all over the place for a wee but nothing is coming out. she's been sick. we think there is blood coming out some of the time, but it's tiny amounts..
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 4 years ago.

Vet_Answers :

Hello and welcome.My name is Scott and I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Vet_Answers :

Having read your question through the most likely diagnosis here would be a urinary tract infection { UTI }

Vet_Answers :

The signs of a UTI which is a bladder infection in the dog would be some or all of the following :

1. Increased frequency of urination, this is typical they could be doing this every fifteen minutes in severe cases.

2. Discomfort or problems passing urine .

3. The urine may sometimes be blood tinged or discoloured.

Vet_Answers :

I know this must be a very uncomfortable disease for Lexi, but if this is the diagnosis then it is rarely a serious situation. UTIs are common in the female dog and they usually respond well to a course of antibiotics.

JACUSTOMER-pkpk7aov- :

she's shivvering loads, and just wont settle. there's no wee, just specs of blood. she's been sick and continues to wretch. when she was sick it was yellow mucusy colour with no solids, just bile

Vet_Answers :

Aaah she is vomiting as well? and shivering? She may well have a UTI but possibly a generalised infection of some kind as well. I think under the circumstances in a dog of this age group you would be best to seek immediate hands on veterinary help before things get any worse. In any case prescription drugs like antibiotics may well be required.