Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

Hi my dog is ayorkshire terrier I was stroking him andi have

Customer Question

Hi my dog is ayorkshire terrier I was stroking him andi have found little spots on his skin I use flea shampoo on him he is not scratching or loosing hair could they be mites.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Jo :

Dr. Jo :

My name is Dr. Jo and I will do my best to help you with your questions about Samson. I'm sorry he's got you worried, but I'm glad you're looking for the information you need to help him.

Dr. Jo :

To join the conversation simply type in what you want to say then click REPLY. Then we can chat back and forth about Samson.

Dr. Jo :

Fleas and mites are one concern for little spots on his skin, but there are other possibilities as well.

Dr. Jo :

You indicated he is not itchy and is not losing hair. That is a relief.

Dr. Jo :

It is possible these spots are normal pigment on his skin.

JACUSTOMER-9eruxlyf- :

I would like to know what you think it is

Dr. Jo :

Can you post a photo to give me a better idea of what you're seeing? I can give a more specific answer that way.

Dr. Jo :

Otherwise the list of things I think it could possibly be is quite long:

JACUSTOMER-9eruxlyf- :

No they are raised spots with sharp points to them

Dr. Jo :

fleas, mites, ticks, bacterial infection, fungal infection, warts, moles, cysts, tumors, allergic dermatitis, toxic reactions, auto-immune diseases, and the list goes on.

Dr. Jo :

There are many different things that you might describe as looking like raised spots with sharp points to them on Samson's skin, and I listed the most likely possibilities.

Dr. Jo :

It's difficult to narrow it down any more than that without a photo.

JACUSTOMER-9eruxlyf- :

Ok thanks will take him to the vets to have him checked out

Dr. Jo :

You bet. It could be any one of those things, or it could even be normal.

Dr. Jo :

I think it's also worth mentioning that just because you've used flea shampoo doesn't mean it cannot be fleas.

Dr. Jo :

What part of his body are the spots on?

Dr. Jo :

Another possibility could be comedo syndrome. Those are like blackheads.

Dr. Jo :

I see you've gone offline now. If you return and wish to discuss this further, I'm happy to do whatever I can to help. Thank you for using our website.