Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

my dog holly has what looks like some kind of infection on

Customer Question

my dog holly has what looks like some kind of infection on her neck the skin has become sore and weepy, it has got worse today, i have put some sudocrem on the infected area is there anything i can do tomorrow as i am making appointment at vets on monday
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry to hear of this with Holly. You're describing a pyotraumatic dermatitis - a "hot spot" - which is caused by our dogs excoriating the area until the skin ulcerates and becomes secondarily infected.

Conservative care involves gently cleansing away the surface infection with a mild antimicrobial soap such as the clorhexidine-containing Hebiclens which should be available at your druggist and then applying a soothing topical such as the Sudocrem or an over the counter hydrocortisone cream/gel. An antihistamine such as diphenhydramine (Benadryl) dosed at 50mg every 8-12 hours might take away some of the itch of this hot spot. If you happen to have prednisone at home, 20mg every 12 hours will work better than the antihistamine. I would expect that Holly's vet will initiate prednisone when Holly is seen on Monday. A systemic antibiotic usually isn't necessary unless the infection is deemed to be deep. Cleansing it as I mentioned above usually suffices.

If Holly won't leave that area alone, sedation should be considered. The antihistamine will provide some sedation and you could add a tranquilizer such as Acepromazine (a prescription drug from your vet) or a benzodiazepine that you might have at home such as diazepam (Valium) or alprazolam (Xamax). Please let me know if you have such a drug and I'll see if i can find a dose for Holly.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish. If you could upload a close-up pic of that skin lesion I should be able to be more accurate for you. You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box or an external app such as ingur.com or tinypic.com.