DR.J
DR.J, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Hi , I'm James DVM MRCVS and would love to help you with your problem
74293778

my pug has started wwith breathing problems -shehas attacks

Customer Question

my pug has started wwith breathing problems -shehas attacks and cannot breathe and stiffens up-I have to rub her neck to get her to breathe again, it happens a few times a day and at night. only started a week ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  DR.J replied 4 years ago.

DR.J :

Hi , I'm James DVM MRCVS and would like to help you with your question

DR.J :

Sorry to hear about Belle

DR.J :

Pugs are part of a group of dogs which suffer form a congenital condition which is represented by narrow nasal passage and an elongated soft pallet (this is the roof of the mouth that extends to the back of the mouth).

DR.J :

This elongated soft Pallet comes really close to where the trachea (wind pip) starts and when she is breathing it causes this soft pallet to flutter (thins is what makes them snore as well!

DR.J :

At times , when it's warm or after activity , this soft pallet can swell up which makes the passage of air to and from the trachea more difficult . this causes the dog so stress and force his breathing even more which makes in turn the soft pallet swell even more .

DR.J :

What you hear is the sound of reverse sneezing and what you see is Belle starching her head forwards and her eyes slightly bulging which looks very scary I will admit.

DR.J :

A steroid injection can help reduce the swelling of the soft pallet but only mildly so I would not recommend and Dimazon plays no role in helping what so ever. .

DR.J :

you can at times put it done to the warmer weather we are having (I don't think Belle ever experienced such a summer in her life time if you think of it ) and this phenomena might pass as things get cooler. If it persists then the only way to resolve it is a surgical correction of the soft pallet .

DR.J :

During the surgery , the surgeon will remove a piece of the soft pallet (the one causing all the trouble) and with that resolve the situation .

DR.J :

There is no medication that can actually help with this and I would not recommend using steroids on a young dog and for a long term.

DR.J :

what you can do mean while while it's warm is the following .

DR.J :

1. keep he cool at home , buy a fan (even two) and make sure there is one place on her where she likes to sleep (no too close as here eyes may dry up , another pug problem)

DR.J :

2. place Ice cubes in her drinking water , during the hot times especially

DR.J :

3. Dont take her on walks when it's hot

DR.J :

4. if an attack does occur , calm her down and dont get stressed yourself as that will effect her .

DR.J :

5. consider the surgical option (its a very good one).

DR.J :

If you have further questions , do let me know

DR.J :

I wish you all the best.

DR.J :

Dr.J

DR.J :

??

DR.J :

Why do you feel you have received poor service ? If you wish to ask something more or better clarify your question then I shall be happy to help you