Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

dog has a sore on front of neck. I am bathing it with mild

Customer Question

dog has a sore on front of neck. I am bathing it with mild antiseptic and it starts to scab over but the dog then scrathches and makes bleed again. what do you suggest
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Whitehead :

Hello there. My name is Dr. Whitehead and I am sorry to hear about Clifford and his sore. Washing it with a mild antiseptic is perfect and applying a thin coat of triple antibiotic will also help it heal faster. The hardest part is protecting it because of the location. If it is up high enough on the neck you can place an e-collar (cone) over his head and make sure the sore is within the e collar to protect it so he can't scratch it anymore for about 5 days or so and it should be healed. If its not in a location that a cone will work then the next best thing is to use a t-shirt small enough to fit him. Putting his front legs through the arms and make sure the neck is up high enough to protect the sore from scratching at the wound. Finally you can take socks and place them on the back feet and tape them on lightly with athletic tape. This will protect the sores with the socks hopefully giving it enough time to heal. Those are the three suggestions I try when there is a sore on the neck that needs to heal. I hope that helps! please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. thank you!