Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

I AM AT MY WITS END OVER MY MINIATURE DACHSHUNDS NASTY COUGH.SHE

Customer Question

I AM AT MY WITS` END OVER MY MINIATURE DACHSHUND`S NASTY COUGH.SHE IS NEARLY 4.I RESCUED HER LAST NOVEMBER FROM A BAD HOME.WITHIN A WEEK SHE BEGAN TO COUGH IN THE MORNINGS WHEN SHE GOT UP.THEN SHE WAS FINE ALL DAY.THE COUGH WAS INTERMITTENT-IT DID NOT HAPPEN EVERY DAY.I TOOK HER TO MY VET.SHE HAD SEVERAL COURSES OF DIFFERENT ANTIBIOTICS WHICH DID NOTHING.XRAYS SHOWED A SLIGHT FUZZINESS IN PART OF ONE LUNG.SHE HAD DRUGS IN CASE IT WAS LUNG-WORM AS SHE HAD BEEN TAKEN WALKS IN FARM FIELDS BY HER PREVIOUS OWNER..ANOTHER XRAY FOLLOWED WHICH SHOWED LUNGS CLEAR.
GRADUALLY THE COUGH GOT LESS AND LESS AND THEN STOPPED THREE MONTHS AGO.I THOUGHT SHE WAS BETTER.
BUT ON 13TH AUGUST IT STARTED AGAIN,WORSE THAN EVER.SHE HAS IT EVERY MORNING AND SOMETIMES IN THE DAY NOW TOO.THE VET XRAYED HER AGAIN TWO DAYS AGO-NEGATIVE.AND HAS NOW TAKEN A BLOOD-TEST FOR LUNG WORM.I AWAIT THE RESULTS.SHE DOES NOT COUGH ANYTHING UP. THE VET SAYS IT IS AN IDEOPATHIC COUGH. I CANNOT AFFORD ANY MORE LARGE VETS BILLS ON THIS DOG,THOUGH I LOVE HER.
NOW THE VET THINKS IT MAY BE AN ALLERGY TO SOMETHING IN MY HOME,BUT I HAVE ANOTHER DACHSHUND AND THREE CATS AND THEY DO NOT COUGH.ALSO,WHY WOULD IT HAVE STOPPED FOR 2/3 MONTHS DURING THE HOTTEST PART OF THE YEAR IN JUNE/JULY/EARLY AUGUST?
I ASKED THE VET IF IT COULD BE ASTHMA BUT SHE SAID NO AND WILL GIVE ME NO DRUGS WHICH MAY HELP.
THE COUGH USUALLY STARTS WHEN THE DOG MOVES FROM SLEEPING OR RESTING.AT ONE POINT HER BREATHING THROUGH THE NOSE WAS VERY NOISY BUT THIS HAS STOPPED.
WHATEVER IS WRONG WITH THIS POOR LITTLE THING? COULD SHE BE ALLERGIC TO MY CATS? HOPE YOU CAN GIVE ME SOME IDEAS AS TO WHAT IS WRONG.I HAVE LOST FAITH IN MY VET WHOM I HAVE TRUSTED FOR MANY YEARS.SHE HAS AN EXCELLENT REPUTATION,BY THE WAY.
Category: Dog