Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

my great dane is bleeding but is not in season last one was

Customer Question

my great dane is bleeding but is not in season last one was 2 months ago but I have noticed a lump on her rear teat
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 4 years ago.
Welcome! My name is Dr. Andy. I am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern.

A lump involving a mammary gland is significant. We don't know if this could represent mastitis (mammary gland infection), or a possible cancer.

Definitely, I do feel this is well worth a veterinary examination. The vet may suggest a course of antibiotics if worried about infection, but if feeling like a lump, they may also suggest a simple needle poke test as well.

Fine-needle aspirate test is performed usually without anesthesia and is very quick. Your veterinarian takes a few needle samples from the lump (the needle is no larger than the needle used to give vaccines). The sample is smeared on to microscope slides and submitted to the laboratory. It is not always as definitive as a biopsy (this is a full tissue sample), but often it can yield enough information to help guide you and your vet as to whether a biopsy is needed, or if surgery should be performed.

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding, my goal is to provide you the best answer possible.
Dr. Andy