gpvet
gpvet, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a general practice vet dealing with all kinds of companion animals and small exotics for the last 13 years
73965271

My 8 year old Border Collie has a little spot on her nose.

My 8 year old Border Collie has a little spot on her nose. At first I thought she may have caught it in a bramble but it has got a little bigger and is red. It resembles a wart. It is close to her left nostril. How should I treat it?
Category: Dog
Expert:  gpvet replied 3 years ago.

gpvet :

HI there

gpvet :

How long has it been present and how large is it?

JACUSTOMER-c3vv27cu- :

About 1 month and it is very small. Started off as a pin head and now not much larger but definitely grown a bit. It also looks as if the red on it is where she may have caught it again on something.

gpvet :

Ok, slow growing is good. Warts are common in older dogs, as are skin tags. Both are benign and don't need any treatment unless they are being repeatedly traumatised for some reason. In that case the usual (and only) solution is to surgically remove them. Often this can be done just under a local anaesthetic, although in the nose region (which is especially sensitive) it may be better to have a light sedation as well.

JACUSTOMER-c3vv27cu- :

Many thanks. I will keep an eye on it and see how it goes. If it gets bigger, or looks as if it may be causing her discomfort, I will take her to the vets.