Dr. Dan M.
Dr. Dan M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years experience in Small Animal veterinary practice
23462335

I have a 13month old black lab who is very hypo, what is the

Customer Question

I have a 13month old black lab who is very hypo, what is the best food to try to get him to settle down. At the moment I am feeding him wainwright`s large breed puppy food
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Dan M. replied 4 years ago.

Winston sounds like a great dog and is at an age where he will be very boistrous and active. Castration may help if this hasn't already been done. If you are unsure of the effects of castration, you could consider a contraceptive implant that effectively chemically castrates him for 6 months. This provides assurance that castration would be of benefit.

Diet wise, I have had some great responses to 'Burns' food, this tends to have a calming effect on dogs and often owners are really pleased with the result, it is nutritious and well balanced. Ensure you gradually introduce the food over 5 days and you feed and age and breed appropriate type.

Good luck

Dan Makin