Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

hello.we have a nearly 17 year old cross Labrador and german

Customer Question

hello.we have a nearly 17 year old cross Labrador and german shepard.for the last 3-4 months he has lost control of his bowel when asleep.now he is getting severe diahorea with blood in it.my mam and brothers think it is time to put him down.is there any hope left for the old man?many thanks
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Drew :

Hello, thanks for your question today! I am Dr. Drew, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

Dr. Drew :

I'm sorry to hear that Buster's health seems to be declining.

Dr. Drew :

Certainly, 17 years is well above the typical life expectancy for a large breed dog,

Dr. Drew :

and the signs you are describing, would make me quite concerned about Buster's quality of life becoming quite poor.

Dr. Drew :

The loss of control, suggests a possible neurological problem, such as a spinal cord degeneration,

Dr. Drew :

the bloody diarrhea could be due to cancer, internal parasites, blood clotting disorders, or other issues,

Dr. Drew :

but it would certainly be reasonable to consider euthanasia, given Buster's very advanced age, and the neurological problems which would be very unlikely to be resolved.

JACUSTOMER-9deysfri- :

he also has severe arthritis and is on medication but it is getting much worse.So you think he has a multitude of problems that are only going to get much worse.Our vet was very concerned over the phone and I just wanted a second opinion

JACUSTOMER-9deysfri- :

many thanks

Dr. Drew :

well, it's not at all surprising to me that there's severe arthritis, given his age and size,

Dr. Drew :

and yes, I think that's accurate, that these issues will be progressive,

Dr. Drew :

it is unlikely that any improvement is going to be attainable, sadly.

Dr. Drew :

If you need further information, please let me know.