Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

i have a working springer and it runs out of stamina very quickly

Customer Question

i have a working springer and it runs out of stamina very quickly blood tests came bagc ok is there a good food suppliment i could add to its diet?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry to hear of this with Bramble. If you're feeding a high quality performance dog food there should be no need to supplement. The best foods have performed well through AAFCO feeding trials and you can find that information on the label of the dog food. Most supplements are nothing more than a proprietary combination of vitamins, minerals, essential fatty acids and perhaps herbal remedies - and best avoided as their cost isn't commensurate with their benefits. Most important is the fact that these supplements may have anecdotal support and testimonials claiming their effectiveness but no scholarly research behind them.

I'm concerned about Bramble's running out of stamina. Can you tell me, please, how quickly this occurs? We should be considering myasthenia gravis - a disorder of the neuromuscular junction - in dogs such as he. We test for this disorder with the acetylcholine receptor antibody test which would be unlikely to have been performed in a basic blood panel.