Shantal-Mod
Shantal-Mod,
73554018

Yesterday morning my dog stopped eating and drinking, looks

Customer Question

Yesterday morning my dog stopped eating and drinking, looks sad he is passing wind but has normal stool and has not vomited, has gone for his normal length of walk but lacks energy in the house just lies around looking sad what shall I do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  DR.J replied 4 years ago.

DR.J :

Hi , I'm James DVM MRCVS and would like to help you with your question

DR.J :

Sorry to hear about Mylo

DR.J :

Do you know if he is painful anywhere ?

DR.J :

Is he lame ?

DR.J :

Is there anything else you may see besides his lack of energy ?

DR.J :

There could be many things which could lead to Mylo not wanting to eat .

DR.J :

1. digestive problem - ate something he shouldn't have and no has an upset tummy (the diarrhea is still to come)

DR.J :

2. Some other infection involving other body organ , liver , kidney

DR.J :

3. Some disease of non infectious origin , lets say some disease he was born with and now is causing him to be lethargic

DR.J :

4. Some trauma or bruising .

DR.J :

All these ends need to be investigated but most importantly is to keep Mylo hydrated as you wisely monitored .

DR.J :

if Mylo is not drinking at all then a visit to your vets (or out of hour vets) is necessary to have him checked out.

DR.J :

A basic blood test will let you vet know if Mylo is dehydrated and in need of fluid therapy, an Xray of the abdomen and perhaps an ultrasound scan will give us much information in regards to anything in the stomach , intestines even the live , kidney and pancreas which might be inflamed and needs treatment .

DR.J :

The point being that if Mylo does not improve , he must be seen and better sooner then later.

DR.J :

This will allow us to diagnose Mylo and and treat him as needed .

DR.J :

I hope hope this helps.

DR.J :

Please let me know if you wish to ask anything more and I would be happy to help.

DR.J :

All the best.

DR.J :

Dr.J

Customer :

thank you ,out that Mylo was pining for my daughter who was away at my sisters, as soon as she returned Mylo returned back to normal

Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 4 years ago.

Please remember to rate the answer given by the Professional once you are satisfied. Please feel free to ask follow up question for no additional charge.