Dr. Dan M.
Dr. Dan M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years experience in Small Animal veterinary practice
23462335

I am in Doha, but in A/C house. Dog is panting deeply and has

Customer Question

I am in Doha, but in A/C house. Dog is panting deeply and has black gums. He has been in kennels at a vets. He came home with ticks which have been treated. Advice please
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Dan M. replied 4 years ago.

I am sorry Snoop is unwell.

I presume his gum colour is not usually black, black gums are often seen with pigment i.e it is normal for the dogs coloration. However, if you are certain that the colour is new then I expect they are a bluey/grey colour which can indicate serious oxygen deprivation.

This is called cyanosis.

Cyanosis can occur due to a reduction in the bodies oxygen carrying capacity, it is seen if e red blood cells don't function properly or if the lungs are struggling to supply oxygen to the blood or if e blood supply to the lungs is compromised.

Regardless of the cause, it is serious and requires prompt emergency veterinary attention. The increased rate and depth of breathing is another clue that there is not enough oxygen circulating around the body.

Snoop requires and urgent examination and the supplementation of pure oxygen to improve the situation. If he doesn't receive this and continues with a low oxygen level in the blood his organs will slowly become oxygen starved resulting in organ failure and death.

The sooner he is examined the more likely the condition can be supported and hopefully reversed.

I really hope he is OK

Good luck

Dr Dan Makin
Hi John,

How is Snoop?
I hope things are OK, let me know if I can be of any help.

Dan