Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My 10 month Rottweiler has been sick now for 3 weeks every

Customer Question

My 10 month Rottweiler has been sick now for 3 weeks every day. Longest period 23 hrs without sickness. Has been to very good animal hospital for endoscopy and surgery into bowel area but nothing found. Also had biopsies and allergy tests and we have tried six different types of food including Hypoallergenic, Sensative tinned, different ingredients don,
My own vet has 40 years experience and I have had 7 dogs over 45 years and never anything like this. He has normal temperature and is extremely active and does not appear
ill at all. I can only pay on results because I have spent a lot up to now so unless you are a genius don't bother replying. Thanks Tim (had 5 Rotties over the years)
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
Please confirm that functional disorders have been ruled out such as achalasia/dysphagia and the pyloric hypertrophy syndrome. The only diagnostic I can imagine being of value at this point is fluoroscopic evaluation which can evaluate the motility of Nico's GI tract.

I'll await your reply.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We will take up your technical questions with our hospital specialist but

last night we were up 5 times for 5 bouts of sickness and heaving but the animal remains happy and cheerful. (this was Monday night/morning)

Many thanks, Tim

The fact that Nico remains happy and cheerful suggests a functional disorder in such a young dog. I'd be interested in what the specialist has to say about fluoroscopic examination. I'm going to check back with you in a week for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.