Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 18 years experience.
13866827

I had a dog cavalier he had heart trouble he was on stage 4

Customer Question

I had a dog cavalier he had heart trouble he was on stage 4 when seen vets and a month later he was fainting and going out for 3 /4 minutes, one I would stay fixed and the other rolling, he had a cough and joked every time he drunk, his mouth was blue, was it the right thing to have him put down, or was there treatment that he could off had?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Scarlett replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Scarlett :

Dr. Scarlett :

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your dog!

Dr. Scarlett :

Cavaliers have some bad genetics when it comes to heart disease. While there can be some treatment for heart issues, it doesn't cure the problem. It sounds like his quality of life was really suffering because of the heart disease. I'm sure he was suffering when turning blue. I do believe you made the most loving decision for him.