Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

my 8 month old labrador has an abnormal gait. he walks with

Customer Question

my 8 month old labrador has an abnormal gait. he walks with his front legs splayed
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
Welcome! My name is Dr. Andy. I am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Oscar.

First, record it!
If he doesn't do it all the time, best to get a recording, as you may need to show it to a neurologist or orthopedic specialist for guidance.

Front legs being splayed could be a result of a past injury you may not have seen, a neurologic problem, growing pains (panosteitis), or confirmation problems in the shoulders or elbows.

Another condition that can cause it, although uncommon and he seems a bit old for it, is swimmer's syndrome (doesn't mean he must swim).

Swimmer's syndrome

This is another differential to consider that would suggest a developmental cause. Definitely, worth a veterinary evaluation to see if a specialist should be consulted or not.

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding, my goal is to provide you the best answer possible.
Dr. Andy

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

could it be elbowdysplasia

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
Hi Joyce.
Yes, I cannot rule-out one elbow or both elbows for dysplasia. But, normally, I would have expected even symptoms of the dysplasia to start at a bit of a later age.

But, yes, the elbows are always suspect in this breed.

Hope that additional information helps. Definitely, reply to me if there is any other way I may assist you. I hope my responses have been satisfactory?
Dr. Andy
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

he often slips when walking

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
Hi Joyce,
Yes, understood. I am still worried that this is more of a developmental issue or neurologic problem, but that cannot be answered without a physical examination, and a better neurologic evaluation.

Dr. Andy