Steve O.
Steve O., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have 20 years of canine clinical and surgical experience
31531426

wpsondering why my dog has this terible itch all over his body

Customer Question

wpsondering why my dog has this terible itch all over his body its not fleas ive put sudocreme on him that helps and iv even given him antihistamenes and that helps what could be the problem
Category: Dog
Expert:  Steve O. replied 4 years ago.

Steve O. :

HI, I'm Dr Steve

Steve O. :

NOt to be redundant , but you are absolutely sure that there are no fleas. This is the single most common cause of itching in dogs in my practice. Some dogs can be allergic to the saliva from a single flea bite and fleas can be very difficult to see.

Steve O. :

Sometimes as you are looking for them they feel the vibrations from your fingers and they simply scurry to another part of the body. Another thing to look for on the skin is flea manure. This looks like black pepper shaken on the skin ( littel specks) usually on back half of the cat above the hips or on the belly. IF you are sure there are no signs liek thisI will continue with other possibilities, OK?

Steve O. :

WIth him responding to antihistamines, it is possible that he has allergies. When dogs suffer from allergies, they become very itchy and they can scratch. lick or chew themselves to the point of causing bleeding sores n the skin. They often lick their paws excessively, but they can be itchy anywhere on their body.

Steve O. :

Can you see my answers so far, we have been having a little with the "chat" mode ?

Steve O. :

How long has this condition been going on?

Steve O. :

I am going to switch to question and answer mode to see if you can see my replies

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

why am i being charched £28 when it said £13 if this is the case i will cancel it through my credit card

Expert:  Steve O. replied 4 years ago.
Dogs can have allergies to anything that people can have allergies to. If his problem is just starting and assuming there is no fleas, this could be what is called a seasonal allergy. Things that can cause seasonal allergies include dust, plants going to seeds ragweed, etc. These allergens cause the itching. There are several treatments available . Benadryl at 1 mg per pound once to twice a day has helped many of my clients. This treatment is usually given daily until the allergen is gone which could take several weeks. ANother treatment that I use is a steroid injection. Depending on the dog, one injection can last for the whole allergy season and typically gives longer lasting and better reslts than benadryl alone. This would have to be given by a vet of course. The third possible treatment is prednisone pills. THese can cause liver problems if used at too high a dose or too long. I prefer not to use prednisone unless none of the other treatments work. THe last treatment is the newest and is called Atopica. This is a pill given once a day for 14 days, then in some dogs it can be reduced to every other day and eventually every third day. THis is more expensive, but less side effects than prednisone pills. Your vet shold be well informed about all these options and you will need to get these medicines from him ( except for the benadryl) . My preference is allergy injection first, Atopical second if the injection doesn't work, Benadryl third and prednisone last. Some other vets may not agree with this rating and may have had good results with a different order of choices, but most vets agree that these 4 are the "typical " allergy treatments. I hope this has helped. If it has would you please click the submit button so I may receive credit for my answer. I will check tomorrow to see if you have more questions. Thnanks for using just answer and good luck
Expert:  Steve O. replied 4 years ago.
If there is a probblem with the charges, just answer has a toll free phone number you can use to get it straightened out. they are very accomodating and want everyone to be happy. Please call them and discuss the vallue you would like to put on the question. I am sure they can fix this misunderstanding. IN the meantime I have a couple of more things to mention
Expert:  Steve O. replied 4 years ago.
One other possible, but much less common cause of seere itching in dogs can be mites. Demodex and sarcoptes ( scabies) are both causes of severe itching in dogs. THey usually cause some definite sores where the chewing ocurs. If the skin where your dog is chewiing looks pretty normal then mites are less likely , but I wanted to at least mention this possibility. In my practice I see 10 times the allergy dogs than dogs with mites. THis is something that requires a skin scraping of the itchy areas by your vet to determine if mites are present. In many cases, just by looking at the skin a vet can get a pretty good idea if it is mites or allergies. I hope this has helped If it has would you please click the submit button once you have corrected the charge problem so I may receive credit for my answer. Do you have any more questions for me? I wold like to help you and your dog, then before accepting my answer you can talk to JA about the charges. THis way your dog can get some relief while working out the financial issue. Thanks for you question and understanding.