Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Our 3year old working springer has had a sneezing and slightly

Customer Question

Our 3year old working springer has had a sneezing and slightly gagging for the last couple of days this has not affected her appetite or fluid intake we have had fields round us with oil seed rape they have been playing in the field . Wearesoftening her food . She has been eating quite a lot of grass is there anything we should do ?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is Dr. Peter I am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is she gagging/hacking like if something is stuck in her throat?
2- How much does she weigh?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes to answer 1
She weighs 13kg
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.
Victoria, the gagging and sneezing you are describing is consistent with an upper respiratory infection called "kennel cough." Basically, she has a dog cold. The gagging is secondary to the inflammation in the upper airway and often will lead to vomiting. This can be caused by viruses or bacterias. Often we need to start them on oral antibiotics. In the meantime, start her on Robitussin DM (cough) 1/2 teaspoon every 6-8 hours for the next week. You can find Robitussin DM over the counter in any pharmacy. Open the hot water in your bathroom and allow her to breath the vapor/steam for a few minutes 2-3 times a day, make sure she has a cool room after, this will help clear her airway. Limit physical activity (no running) as this will promote the hacking/gagging. Follow up with family veterinarian for oral antibiotics.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter