Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

Multiple cysts between my dogs toes and on the pads of his

Customer Question

Multiple cysts between my dogs toes and on the pads of his feet, some of the cyst like lumps are red and leak water like fluid.
Category: Dog
Expert:  DR.J replied 4 years ago.

DR.J :

Hi , I'm James DVM MRCVS and would like to help you with your question

DR.J :

Sorry to hear about Tony's condition . would you be able to answer the following questions :

DR.J :

1. For how long has it been going on is it on all four feet?

DR.J :

2. Is Tony suffering from anything else as well (any other disease or lesions on his body)

DR.J :

3. Are the cyst litchi or does he not bother with them ?

DR.J :

4. Would you be able to find the names of the medications he has been given ?

JACUSTOMER-gqd1fg5d- :

Tony has this problem for two months or so. No Tony is not suffering from any other disease, but he has similar lesions under his chin. I think the cysts are itchy I notice that he licks them a lot. The tablets Tony was taking were Synulox 500mg it was one a day for 10 days and he also had an injection of penicillin. Thanks for your help.

DR.J :

Thank you for you answer.

DR.J :

I think we haven't even scratched the surface when it comes to trying to find out what is happening with Toni , There are still several options as to what it could be and towards that we must conduct several test and try several things , some of the more possible options are :

DR.J :

1. Infection - I know Tony has received antibiotic but it could be that what ever is causing this (type of bacteria) is resistant towards synulox and what we need to do now is to sample these cysts (take a piece of the tissue) and send it to an external laboratory to be analyzed.

DR.J :

2. Allergic reaction - It could be that Tony is allergic to something , something he had first come across in the past 2 months , could be food , plant material , pollen , chemicals (like laundry detergents , floor washing material and such) . Towards that end you first need to put your heads together and find if something is new in Tony's life as well as there are special blood tests which can be sent off to be tested and come back with answer in regards to possible allergies Tony might have (the same as done on people)

DR.J :

3. Immune mediated disease - this is a general name for a group of disease in which the body's own immune system attacks the body , this results in many types of symptoms , depending on the type of disease . there are several of these diseases which attack the skin and in order for us to find out would be again to sample one of these cysts and send it off to a laboratory to be tested .

DR.J :

4. some internal disease like liver,kidney and glands diseases can manifest first in skin conditions before the more classical symptoms which represent them . The best thing to do first would be to perform a general blood test to check if all of them are functioning properly as well as a test called ACTH stimulation test ~(done at your vets) to check the adrenal gland which if not working properly can result in a variety of skin disease and general suppression of the immune system which would not help .

DR.J :

I know this is a lot of information and a lot of option , but one of them will be the right one and will help Tony get cured of his condition.

DR.J :

Start by talking to your vet, do the blood tests and have your vet sample one of the cysts to be sent off to a lab . I can promise you that the information you will receive will give you (and your vet ) a strong idea as to what is going on with Tony.

DR.J :

I hope this helps

DR.J :

If you have any more questions on the matter , let me know and I shall be happy to help .

DR.J :

All the best to you both

DR.J :

Dr.J

DR.J :

???

DR.J :

WHAT??

DR.J :

Do you care to explain why you have found this detailed answer as bad?

DR.J :

If you have intended to ask anything else , let me know and I shall help you .

JACUSTOMER-gqd1fg5d- :

DR..J The reason I found your detailed answer so bad, is that I did not receive a reply/answer to my question

DR.J :

If you actually read your post you would see the you did not raise a question but rather told of the clinical signs of your dog. If you care to place an actual question then I would be able and happy to answer it