Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My GS has one enlarged teat, all the rest are OK. Came

Customer Question

My GS bitch has one enlarged teat, all the rest are OK. Came back from holiday and kennels told me that it started a few days ago. Is this serious for a vet visit or will it go away on it's own.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 4 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta , a licensed veterinarian and am happy to answer your question.

I have a few questions to help me better assist you.

How old is Amber and is she spayed?

Does this teat painful to Amber? Is there any discharge from this teat?

Sincerely, Dr. Loretta

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

She is about 9 years old, not spayed, she is not displaying signs of pain, she is still running around, eating and playing. I cannot see any discharge at the moment

Thank you., Loz....

Because of Amber's age and not being spayed, this enlargement is most likely a mammary tumor that will require removal. They can get abscesses but these would be painful and since Amber is not bothered by this, it is probably a tumor. These mammary tumors can be malignant masses or benign...it is usually 50% so it is best to have this checked as soon as posible, Loz. This is not an emergency but the sooner you get this taken care of, the better for Amber.

Does that make sense to you. Loz?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, Dr. Loretta

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Many thanks for that, i will make an appointment for her tomorrow

Excellent, Loz....this is one reason for many dogs to be spayed because this constant estrogen stimulation can bring on mammary cancer. I am sending you positive thoughts that if this is a tumor, that it is benign.

Good luck, Loz!