Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My 12 month old black Labrador was sick 4days ago and has been

Customer Question

My 12 month old black Labrador was sick 4days ago and has been unable to keep food down since. Otherwise in very good health and is still looking bright?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
I am sorry to hear about Ben. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

Is he able to keep water down at least?

Are his gums (might be hard to tell; Labs can have a lot of black color on the gums) a bright pink color?

There are many things that could do this. One concern in a young Labrador is something in the stomach or intestines causing a blockage, like a toy or a sock or plastic wrap, etc. That will cause him to vomit and not be able to keep food down at all. These dogs start to look sick, and often the gums look "muddy" rather than pink. If he is bright and alert and his gums are pink, that is a good sign he is not obstructed. Still, if this continues much longer, he should have an Xray.

You could try giving some Pepcid, or famotidine, available over the counter. He could take 10 to 14 milligrams twice daily. If that does not stop the vomiting in a day or two, I would take him in for an Xray.

There are many other things that can make a dog vomit: infections, parasites, liver and kidney disease, but again he would not look bright as you describe.

So try the Pepcid and get him Xrayed if this continues is what I would do if he were my own.

Please let me know what else I can help with, or answer.

Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Hello David,
How is Ben doing?

Rebecca