How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Peter Your Own Question
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 30887
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Peter is online now

My dog has eaten a bar of 83% chocolate

Customer Question

My dog has eaten a bar of 83% chocolate
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is Dr. Peter I am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has it been since he ate the chocolate?
2- What type of chocolate (milk, dark, etc.)?
3- How many ounces was the bar?
4- How much does your dog weigh?
5- Do you have hydrogen peroxide?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

1 Around 4 hours, cant be sure exactly found the wrapper upstairs


2 Dark chocolate 73%


3 100 grams


4 Around 14 kg


5 No

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.
Jane, after 4 hours of ingestion inducing vomiting is not going to help as the chocolate has moved out of the stomach. Chocolate toxicity and symptoms are very dose dependent. Symptoms can range from gastrointestinal symptoms to life threatening seizures or cardiac arrhythmias. It is unlikely for 100 grams of dark chocolate to be systemically toxic to a 14kg Zack, he may develop vomiting or diarrhea. For now all you can do is observe him for the next 24 hours. If he becomes hyperactive, muscle tremors, changes in respiration, etc. have him checked immediately by ER veterinarian, these are symptoms that could progress to life threatening seizures or cardiac arrhythmias. If no symptoms after 24 hours (especially the first 12 hours), he will be fine.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter