Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

9 week old Irish Terrier - has a scissor bite but the bottom

Customer Question

9 week old Irish Terrier - has a scissor bite but the bottom incisor on the left side is not in the proper place - looks to be going inwards instead of outwards. Is this something that can correct itself as the jaw develops?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

If this is a deciduous (baby tooth), then there is no reason to be alarmed as this tooth is going to fall out within the next 2 months and will be replaced by the adult tooth. If the adult tooth also comes in abnormally, and this tooth is damaging the upper jaw or causing a problem, or you are interested in having this corrected then you need for your vet to refer you to see a veterinary dentist. You can then discuss braces. Yes, they do exist for dogs. Unfortunately, they are not as effective on front teeth, but in some situations they might work well. If this is an "extra tooth" (some dogs have one too many front teeth) or the tooth is causing damage to surrounding structures then it can be removed. An incisor should not affect the jaw. But if the all the teeth are extremely out of alignment then the tooth that can cause the most damage are the canine teeth (the larger teeth location the 4th tooth back on upper and lower arcades. If this is causing an indentation or damage to the upper jaw, then this is super important when the adult tooth comes in at around 5-6 months to have a consult with a veterinary dentist.

Dr. Joey :

Let me also reassure you there are a high percentage of dogs that have teeth that are significantly out of alignment that have no long-term problems. Therefore, I recommend wait and see what happens when the adult teeth erupt. Then you can have a consult with your regular veterinarian to determine if referral for a corrective procedure is indicated.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 4 years ago.

You appear to be unavailable for a live chat or we are having a difficult time connecting. I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialog in this setting.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.