Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.

Urgent advice needed on diorreah

Customer Question

After staying with a friend for the weekend (one she has stayed with before and knows well) our dog developed diorreah through Monday with mild vomiting. We bought a binding paste from a local vet but that has had no effect along with starving her all Tuesday the runny bowel moments continued although they were NOT uncontrollable and tailed off during today. She ate a small meal of boiled chicken and rice this morning and the same this evening. She had a small runny bowl moment at 7.30am and then nothing all day till around 6.30 when the diorreah returned and she has had another fairly bad episode at around 8pm although again she made it outside. She is well otherwise, drinking and has been looking for food throughout, she does not feel hot and is bright and alert and has a moist cold nose. She is 12 years old approx (rescue dog) and is up to date with vaccinations and her last worming of Drontil was zi ust over a month ago... Any advice would be welcome.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.

Hello Liz, I'm Dr. Deb:
I recently came online and see that your question about Trixie hasn't been answered. I'm sorry that you've had to wait for a response but if you still need assistance, I'd like to help if I can.
I do have a few questions to ask first, if you don't mind:

1. Is she still vomiting?
2. Do you know the name of the binding paste that was given?
3. Has she had a recent stool sample checked (even though she was wormed with Drontil)?
4. What proportions of rice and chicken are you giving her? Is this white rice?
5. Has she had any recent blood work done?

There may be a delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you and I may be offline at the time you respond. But I'll get back to you as soon as I can since I'm on the computer some part of every day. Deb

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you Soo much for getting back to me.

No she hasn't vomited since Monday evening, only ever vomited twice once a couple of hours after Mondays breakfast and the same after Mondays evening meal (pedigree chum I with mixer biscuits in both cases)

Binding agent Pro-Kolin +

Roughly 60/40 rice to chicken, tried her to start this morning with just rice but she refused it while obviously wanting food, so after the 24 hour fast we added 3 small chunks home boiled chicken breast to 3 dessert spoonfuls of rice, tonight it was more 4 chunks to 5 spoonfuls.... There has been no bowell movements since the 8pm one and she got her ball and bugged us till we played with her so she is acting perfectly normal and happy.

No stool sample and no blood work, the vet didn't think it necessary.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.

You're welcome; I hope that I can help you and Trixie today.

As I'm sure you know, there could be several different reasons why she might develop diarrhea and yet still act hungry and perfectly fine otherwise. In fact, it's an excellent sign that she is behaving normally. I agree with your vet that her loose stools are not likely to be secondary to a systemic disease because she is feeling so good but blood work might be something to consider if it continues.
In no particular order:

1. Internal parasites such as whipworms, hookworms, giardia for example. Stool samples are not always positive when these parasites are present since eggs are not shed in every sample. So, a positive is a positive but a negative is not necessarily a negative, if that makes sense.
But, I usually run a stool sample if loose stools continue for more than just a few days on the off chance that I might identify a parasite as the problem.

2. Dietary indiscretion..she ate something that is irritating her intestines as it passes through.
3.Inflammatory bowel disease although this would be a little less likely in a dog this age unless she has had intermittent gastrointestinal problems.
4. Ingestion of spoiled or rotten food. Dogs typically will vomit first and then develop looser stools later as their bodies are reacting to the insult to their systems.
5. Viral or bacterial infections. Dogs with this problem can sometimes take 5-7days before the stools return to normal. So if this is the problem, she may have a few more days to go before "normal" is seen.

...and this is just a partial list.

Since she is otherwise acting fine, then you may be able to treat her symptomatically for a few more days and she will get past this.

1. ProKolin is not a bad product to use since it does contain probiotics. But there may not be enough Kaolin or Pectin to help bind the stools. If she is not currently taking any aspirin or nsaid products and since she's not vomiting any more, then you change to Regular Strength Pepto Bismol which may work more effectively. The dose would be 1/2 ml/lb 2 times a day. For example, if she weighs 50 lbs, then you would give 1.5 tbs at each dose (15 mls=1 tbs). It may change the stool color to a gray-black or greenish color though so this shouldn't concern you if it happens.

Pepto bismol should not be given to vomiting dogs since it contains salicylates (the active ingredient in Aspirin) which can irritate the stomach.

2 Your bland diet ratio isn't bad. I usually recommend 1 part boiled chicken (or hamburg or low fat cottage cheese) to 4 parts 20-minute boiled white rice. . Feed only a small amount of one time, 3-4 times through the day. (the active ingredient in Aspirin) which can irritate the stomach.

3. I would suggest continuing probiotics but Forti-flora may be slightly more effective since it's a veterinary product specifically formulated for dogs. It also contains more "friendly" bacteria than Pro-Kolin does.These may be available at local pet/grain stores.

4. Metamucil, at around 1-2 TEAspoons twice a day can act as a binder. Giving too much can contribute to looser stools which is why I emphasize the amount.

5. Encourage lots of fluids so she remains hydrated.

It is possible that she will need stronger anti-diarrheal drugs such as Metronidazole if her stool doesn't start to firm up within another day or so. If you have to have her rechecked, I would also take a stool sample to be evaluated, if possible.

I wouldn't be too concerned about her just yet because she's not acting sick....and this is a really important point (which I obviously keep mentioning).

But I hope this helps and eases your mind about her somewhat. Deb

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you.. Lots to think about in that answer. To be honest the house she was staying in was less than clean and with walks along the beach 3 times a day Sat and Sun I am thinks she has eaten something she shouldn't have at some point. Will get the ratio right on the chicken rice and follow your advice and if it doesn't improve by say Friday or Monday? Organise another vet appointment?
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.

You're more than welcome:)

Dietary indiscretion is certainly a possibility; who knows what she might have picked up during her walks....which I'm sure she thoroughly enjoyed, by the way:)

We do see stress diarrhea that can last a few days but this seemed less likely since she had stayed there before and knew the people.

If this were my case and the stools aren't improving, I'd have you drop off a stool sample but I'd probably also dispense a few days worth of Metronidazole since she's not acting sick. Of course, every vet is different but one week is about as long as I would expect "simple" diarrhea to last.

I hope you'll keep me posted about her. . Even after you've rated (if you do, of course), we can still continue to communicate. I can also send you a follow up email in a few days to which you can respond when you have the time to do so.

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Trixie. How is she doing? Deb