Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My Staffie cross had a TPLO on his right leg on the 2 August

Customer Question

My Staffie cross had a TPLO on his right leg on the 2 August this year within a few days he was putting it on the ground although he wasnt bearing his weight on it.A week ago he managed to chase a Fox and injured his leg which swelled up alarmingly,I took him to the vet and had him re Xrayed in case he has damaged the implant or caused other damage the xray showed no damage.up to the incident he was doing really well but he is now holding his leg up a lot more and is not using it as much as before.The vets have been using Bowen Therapy to assist in his recovery ,I must say that I fail to see that this is working as it looks just like the laying on of hands.The orthopedic vet who carried out the operation has left the practice and as far as I know they dont have a replacement,I am very concerned about his recovery ,what do you advise .
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.
Hello, and welcome.

Sorry to hear about Brya's problem.

I know you have had a bit of a wait but my name is Scott, I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon and I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

1. Firstly as regards the Bowen Technique, I personally have a quite a few reservations as there does not seem to be any no research supporting this therapy. You can read more about it HERE.

2. Despite the X-rays etc I do wonder if something has not gone wrong with the previous surgery. Given the orthopaedic vet has now left your practice I think the best advice is to ask for a referal to a specialist orthopaedic vet practice.

I know the above is very obvious but you cannot leave Brya as he is ...

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott