Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

Hi Our whippet is 13 years old and today is not very well

Customer Question

Our whippet is 13 years old and today is not very well today. His heart is racing at about 190 bpm and he is alternating between trembling and panting. He is lethargic and has been sick.

Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 years ago.

Rebecca :

Rebecca :

I am sorry to hear about Robbie, and I am worried.

Rebecca :

My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

Rebecca :

That heart rate is very concerning. Are there any veterinarians open near you today?

Rebecca :

If you look at his gums, do they look a normal bright pink, or do they seem pale?

Rebecca :

The trembling and panting could indicate pain, or stress, or fever. Is there any way for you to take his rectal temperature?

Rebecca :

I sure wish I could examine him: feel his pulses, listen to his heart and lungs, take his temperature. A good physical exam is the first step to figuring out what is wrong, and how best to treat him.

Rebecca :

At least you can keep him drinking, and hydrated. As long as he keeps it down, keep offering small amounts of water, or broth.

Rebecca :

The high heart rate is really concerning. This could be a heart problem, or he could be bleeding internally.

Rebecca :

I am not seeing responses from you. I hope you can see what I am writing!

Rebecca :

I will try to connect with you another way, if I do not hear from you soon.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 years ago.
Nicola,
I hope you can see what I am writing now.

I hope you can get Robby examined today. Please let me know what else I can answer or help with.

Rebecca
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

We took Robby to the emergency vets and they have given him two injections, one for his pain and one for his fever. We need to take him to our own vets tomorrow for an abdonimal scan.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 years ago.
You are welcome. I am glad to hear he got checked out, and hope he is feeling better.

Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 years ago.
Nicola,
How is Robby today?

Rebecca